It’s no secret that stress can take a toll on your health. Chronic stress has been linked to everything from heart disease and depression to obesity and Alzheimer’s disease.
But what exactly is stress? And how can you manage it in a healthy way?
Here’s What You Need To Know About Stress And How To Relieve It.
What is stress?
Stress is your body’s response to any type of demand or threat. When you perceive a threat, your nervous system kicks into gear, releasing hormones that prepare you for “fight-or-flight.” This results in physical changes, such as an increased heart rate and heightened senses, which can help you deal with the situation at hand.
In small doses, stress can be helpful. For example, it can motivate you to meet a deadline at work or study for an exam. But when it’s constant and overwhelming, it can take a toll on your health.
Symptoms of stress
- The physical symptoms of stress are wide-ranging and depend on the person. For example, some people may experience changes in their appetite or weight, while others may have trouble sleeping or suffer from headaches or muscle pain.
- Emotional symptoms of stress include feeling irritable, anxious, overwhelmed, or depressed. You may also find yourself snapping at loved ones or struggling to concentrate.
- Cognitive symptoms of stress include racing thoughts, difficulty making decisions, and forgetfulness.
Ways to relieve stress
There are many different ways to manage stress. For example, some people find that exercise or relaxation techniques help, while others may need to talk to a therapist to work through their issues.
Here are some of the most common ways to relieve stress:
Exercise is a great way to reduce stress. It helps your body release endorphins, which have mood-boosting effects. Not to mention, it can also help you sleep better and improve your overall health.
Yoga involves both physical and mental components, making it an effective way to reduce stress. The physical aspect can help your body relax, while the breathing exercises and meditation can help calm your mind.
Mindfulness is all about being present in the moment and accepting your thoughts and feelings without judgment. This can help you feel more in control of your emotions and less reactive to stressors.
Talking to a therapist can help you understand and manage your stress. In addition, they can provide valuable tools and perspective on how to deal with stressful situations.
Stress Relieving Supplements:
There are many different supplements such as Primary Jane that can relieve stress.
Some of the most popular include:
- Vitamin B complex: Vitamin B is essential for your nervous system, which can be taxed by stress.
- magnesium: Magnesium helps your body produce and regulate hormones, including those involved in stress response.
- omega-3 fatty acids: Omega-3s help reduce inflammation, which can be a source of stress.
There is no one-size-fits-all solution for stress relief. What works for one person may not work for another. Therefore, it’s important to experiment with different techniques until you find what works best for you.