Keto Almond Butter Fat Bombs
Yields: 15 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 0 minutes | Total Time: 10 minutes
1 cup almond butter, creamy and natural
½ cup coconut flour
Stevia to taste (may substitute with 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup for non-keto options)
- Place a piece of wax paper on a plate and set aside.
- Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop the mixture and roll with clean hands into balls.
- Place each ball onto the prepared plate.
- Once mixture is used up, place the plate in the freezer to allow the bites to chill for 20 minutes.
- Transfer energy bites to an air-tight container and store in the fridge or freezer until ready to eat. Keep for 1-2 weeks.
So what, exactly, is a fat bomb? A fat bomb is similar to an energy ball or bar but is made with high-fat, low-carb additions such as coconut oil, nut butters and cream. It’s sometimes even made with chocolate.
Why do we need fat bombs? Good fats are essential part of the keto diet. We should have at least 20% of our daily calorie intake from ‘good fats’. We need fats to absorb fat soluble vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin E and vitamin K, and research suggests that monounsaturated fats (the kind found in avocados, peanuts and olives) can lower ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol and increase ‘good’ HDL cholesterol. Fats take longer to break down in the digestive tract and slow the breakdown of carbohydrates into sugar, keeping our blood sugar levels stable and helping us to feel fuller for longer.
Looking for other great keto recipes? Check out this list of 31 Keto Recipes.